AT1 - Beginner Visiting Dog Training
Class Description: For the Handler and/or dog having some obedience and little or no experience with therapy dog training.
Through hands-on practice, review of video tapes, study of homework sheets, and individual instructor attention, this weekly course will cover the correct methods for:
- Introduction to medical equipment
- Beginner, Low Impact, Body Desensitizing
- Evaluation Steps to Beginning Assessment of dog/population match
- Etiquette for visiting handlers and dogs
- Evaluation Steps to Beginning Stress Assessment for dog and handler
- How to employ articles found in every home to train for exposure to visiting situations and medical equipment
- How to choose where to visit
- Beginning therapy dog maneuvers such as head down, hold still, let's visit
- What level of involvement should your animal have
Class Fee: $110.00 + membership dues
Prerequisites: Must be assessed by Instructor during Free Therapy Animal Overview/Orientation Seminar
Dog must be at least 18 months old.
It is NOT anticipated that animal / handler completing this initial course will be ready for evaluation by a national organization.
Registration process: Fill out the forms below and return them to Carol Ouhl (contact info on Therapy Registration form) with applicable payment.
|Class times||Session Start Dates|
Jan 15, March 5, April 23, Sept 10 & Oct 29